Regional HS&E and Food Safety Officer (North) – Based Liverpool
Regional HS&E and Food Safety Officer (North) - Based Liverpool
Local at heart, global by nature, Total Produce is proud to be the UK’s premier fresh produce provider. Trading out of 21 locations across the United Kingdom in addition to over 260 facilities across Europe, India and North America, we deliver the best of both worlds; the finest local British produce and the cream of the global crop. Growing, sourcing, importing, packaging, marketing and distributing over 300 lines of fresh produce, Total Produce’s range extends from the more familiar to the truly exotic. With specialist units dedicated to each of the retail, wholesale and foodservice sectors, Total Produce UK is a complete fresh produce solution provider – offering a comprehensive menu of services to our customers ranging from simple service provision to complete category management.
Total Produce UK now has an exciting opportunity available for the right candidate to join our Health, Safety and Environment Team. The successful candidate will be based in Liverpool and will cover our Northern UK sites, reporting to the UK Group Health, Safety and Environment Manager.
The ideal candidate will be looking for the next step in their career with a will to work in challenging environments to sustain our drive for continual improvement in areas of health and safety management and safety culture maturity. The ability to exercise a flexible approach to the achievement of objectives is of paramount importance. Experience in a similar role with multisite responsibility is desirable. NEBOSH certificate or equivalent is essential and subject to suitability and commitment to the business the Company may offer sponsorship for study towards the NCRQ Diploma.
Above all the right person will be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work on all levels of discourse with our colleagues across the Total Produce UK Group, external regulatory bodies and our customers.
Salary range: Negotiable
Pension: 5% Contribution + 3% from Company
Annual Leave: 23 Days plus Bank Holidays
Hours: 40/Week Other Benefits: TBN
Outline Job Description
Qualifications and Experience (Essential*):
- H&S: NEBOSH Certificate with ability to take further (NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent)*
Manual Handling Trainer
Warehousing and transport experience*
- Food Safety: Food Hygiene – level 3
HACCP – level 3
Fresh produce and chilled experience
- Fire Safety: FPA Certificate in Applied Fire Risk Assessment or Equivalent
- General: Auditor trained (skills fairly cross functional but preferably BRC or ISO)
Duties to include but not limited to:
The provision of specialist advice and assistance in the areas of Health and Safety, Food Safety and the Environment to Total Produce Wholesale and Foodservice Branches in the North Region.
Current Branches – Glasgow Wholesale, Edinburgh Food Service (BRC), Gateshead Food Service (BRC), Gateshead Wholesale, Manchester Wholesale, Nottingham Wholesale, Sheffield Wholesale, Leicester Wholesale, Leicester Food Service, Bradford (Burbank Produce).
- Support Branches to enable them to fully implement their applicable risk assessments and safe systems of work.
- Advise and assist in co-ordination of fire safety arrangements. Including undertaking of competent fire risk assessments and review of fire evacuation plans.
- Provide support to sites regarding management of contractors including assessment of non-routine contracts, assessment of RAMS, relevant competence, insurances etc.
- Deliver or organise specialist H&S training.
- Monitor site H&S / Food Safety Training to ensure that it is competently delivered, appropriately recorded and refreshed as required.
- Monitor monthly walk-through inspections and follow-up corrective actions.
- Complete incident investigations where necessary and recommend required actions.
- Monitor unsafe act / unsafe condition reporting data and provide feedback and guidance to sites.
- Regularly attend and contribute to Site H&S Committee meetings in ex-officio capacity.
- In co-ordination with the Group Technical Systems Manager assist branches certificated to the BRC Storage and Distribution Standard to maintain their Quality Systems and support them during annual audits.
- Complete regular internal audits for BRC Storage and Distribution certificated branches.
- Membership of the site HACCP teams. Regularly attend HACCP meetings and reviews ensuring implementation of HACCP.
- Liaise with external authorities as required and support locally when necessary.
- Advise sites on Health, Safety, Environment, Food Safety and Security issues as required.
- Support and profile continual development initiatives for Safety Cultural Maturity.
- Conduct Annual Audits of Health, Safety, Environment, Food Safety and Security.
- Assist in the organisation and delivery of the Annual Group Health and Safety Conference.
- Assist with / lead on core projects within the UK Central H&S Team as required.
- Any other duties as reasonably expected within the framework of the role from time to time.
Reports to: The UK Group, Health, Safety and Environment Manager
There will be an expectation for regular travel to sites with a requirement for overnight stays on occasion. The role may also require some flexibility for working across other regions within the UK as required.